Nellika Achar / Gooseberry pickle
It was very shocking when i couldn't find any fresh Gooseberries from our Indian Stores here in the US. During my first year of stay i used to try my luck in each and every Indian Grocery Stores i found, i used to call my mom back home and explain about all the different veggies we get here, as well complaining about my failure in not finding a single store with gooseberries, at last to my relief i got hold of the frozen ones, at least we Get these.
Back home , Mom has this "Bharani" an earthern pot where you usually store pickles which is quite common in South India. I don't have one here, but got this cute little "Bharani".
1/4 kg Nelikka / Gooseberry
4tbsp Red chili powder ( i used Kashmiri)
1/2tsp Fenugreek seeds
1 tsp Mustard seeds
Dry Red chilies
Salt to taste
- Boil the gooseberries in water till soft and tender, strain and save the water.
- In a pan heat oil and pop mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chilies & curry leaves
- Add in asafoetida and chilli powder saute for a min, add the boiled water and let it boil.
- Add in the gooseberries and let it simmer.( Check on the water, and adjust accordingly)
- Allow to cool, and store in dry bottle.
- Refrigerate and use.