A Kottayam Style Fish Curry , with lots of flavours and for me the best comfort food ever. For Amma this is like her warm up Curry, when back after a long travel, or vacation, this would be the comfort food for the day or next, and now i follow her.
Back in Kerala; fish curry is normally made in earthenware vessels names " Meen Chatti" , but unfortunately i broke mine and had to make these in a normal Kadai, and I'm sure to get one during my next visit :) A very Indian style of Salmon Curry
Kottayam Style Fish Curry / Salmon Fish Curry
Recipe Source: Amma
1 lbs Salmon Steak ( cut in medium square pieces)
1/2 Onion ( sliced )
2 inch Ginger piece ( sliced)
5-6 Garlic ( sliced)
2 Green Chili ( opt)
1 1/2 tbsp Coriander Powder
1 tbsp Red Chili Powder ( adjust accordingly )
1/4tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Powder
3-4 Kudam Puli / Gambooge ( soaked in hot water until soft and torn in small pieces)
Salt to Taste
Oil ( preferrabaly Coconut Oil )
- Heat oil in a Kadai and pop Mustard, add in Ginger, Garlic, Green Chili & Onion,Curry leaves & saute until translucent.
- Lower the heat and add in Red chili pwdr, Coriander pwdr & Turmeric and saute for another 2-3 mins.
- Add in 1 1/2 cup of water, Kodam puli, salt and let it boil.
- Add in the fish pieces, and cook on medium to low heat, when almost cooked add in the Fenugreek pwdr ,and check for salt, let it simmer again, check for your gravy consistency, and add water as needed.( do not make it too watery )
- Add in 1-2 tbsp of Coconut oil and more Curry leaves, simmer for 5 - 10 mins and Serve.
- It tastes best the next day.