I really wanted to have the heading as " Coconut Less "; i know it is a bit of something you might be wondering on; well nothing much to think on, as we mention in some recipes as ' Egg Less ' i wanted to do the same. Then even i really started getting confused , so i edited the name to ' NO Coconut ". Appam a Kerala breakfast dish is again a favourite at home, there are many versions of Appams; Kallappam ( Kallu means Toddy ) , Palappam ( Palu means Milk ) and many more. Appam batter usually contains Grated coconut or Coconut milk, but this recipe is one even without Coconut water, nor grated coconut.
APPAM - NO Coconut
2 cups Pachari / Raw rice( i used Sona Masuri )
2 tbsp Urad Dal
2 tbsp Sabudhana / Chauvuri / Jhavarasi
4 tbsp Cooked Rice
3 tbsp Sugar ( do adjust )
Salt to taste
2 tsp Yeast
1 tsp Sugar
1/4 cup Warm Water
- Soak Rice, Urad dal, Sabudhana seperately for atleast 6- 7 hrs.
- Grind together rice, urad dal, sabudhana, cooked rice to a smooth paste adding water.
- Mix warm water ,yeast and sugar and let it rise.
- Add sugar, yeast mixture and salt to taste to the batter.
- Let the batter sit and ferment.
- When fermented heat pan and make Appams.
- Pour a ladle of batter , do not spread it, close it with a lid and cook, flip and cook the other side too.
- Serve hot with Omelete Curry.
Notes: I like my batter to be sweet so i add more sugar, it all depends upon your own taste buds.