Puttu and Kadala is the most
Kerala Kadala Curry
1 cup Kadala / Black Channa ( soaked overnight )
1 1/2 big Onion ( sliced )
5-6 Pearl Onion / Small Onion ( halved )
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Mustard
2 -3 Dried Red Chilies
Salt to tatse
Roast and Grind:
1 cup Grated Coconut
1 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp Red chili powder ( adjust accordingly )
1 Star anise petal
1 Cinnamon Stick
5-6 Whole Pepper Corns
- Pressure cook the Channa with 1/2 of the sliced Onion, 1/4 tsp Turmeric and Salt, and reserve the water.
- In a Kadai dry roast grated coconut until brown, then adding whole spices and powder roast it.
- Grind it to a smooth paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a Kadai and pop Mustard, Dry Red Chili and Curry Leaves.
- Saute Onion, until translucent, add in the boiled Channa with the Onion, turmeric powder, ground paste, garam masala add in the reserved water as per your gravy thickness and let it boil.
- Add in the pearl onions, check for salt. and cook untill done.
- Serve with Puttu , Idly , Appam